U2 is undeniably one of the most sustainable and important bands in rock and roll for at least 36 years. I like their sound, which is very particular, I enjoy most of their songs, but I know two people that have been waiting for this blog to be written. They are the biggest U2 fans that I know and I hope not to disappoint not only them, but the readers as well. So Nadia Raad , Adam Masin and my readers, here we go!!!
Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen got together in Dublin, still teenagers in school. They were first called The Larry Mullen Band, changing for The Hype soon after. A friend of Mullen gave them a list of 10 names and actually U2 was the one they least disliked. After winning a talent show in which a studio recording slot at CBS’ studios was the prize, they recorded the single Three.
We all know about Boy, Joshua Three, and Pop … but I think that U2 is more than just their songs. Once again, 99.9 % of us, music lovers, are familiar with the band’s history and songs. Let’s talk about things we have no idea or had some idea about one of the most popular band on the planet.
1. The band is actually cares and respects its fans. They rather have a lower profit by selling tickets for a lesser price in comparison to other artists and spend money in a state of the art concert.
2. Bono is a Sir, if you did not know that either. Even though he was not technically qualified to receive the honor, in 2007 Bono received an Honorary Knighthood from the Queen of England. At the ceremony he told the public that his son thought he was becoming a Jedi.
3. Bono also is the only member nominated for an Oscar, a Grammy, a Golden Globe and a Nobel Prize. He was actually nominated three times for a Nobel Prize (2003, 2005, and 2006). Time magazine nominated him the world’s most influential person of the year in 2005 along with Bill Gates. Gates said that Bono is as geek as he is, but a geek that happens to appreciate music.
4. Many fans claim that The Joshua Tree was intended to be a double album. This theory is backed by the fact that With or Without you and Where the Streets have no Name were so amazing and intense that they could put other bands to shame. These songs had such a quality that enticed b side songs to be written. Bono put rumors and theories to rest claiming that the band actually thinks that the album was actually incomplete and released like that anyway.
Where the Streets have no Name
With or Without you
5. The band’s fourth album, The Unforgettable Fire, was named after a series of paintings by survivors of the atomic band attacks of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Because of the band’s strong Christian roots, fans thought that it had to do with their affinity with the Bible. Actually, 1981 October remains the only album with overly religious lyrics.
6. Bono does not constant wear sunglasses for looks. He is actually allergic to salicylates, which leaves him with red eyes.
7. Mullen, on the other hand, suffers from chronic back problems and travels constantly to Germany to get bull’s blood injections. Apparently this is an efficient holistic treatment.
I guess that even I learned stuff about U2. Check out Zooropa, Stay (far away so close), Lemon, Baby Face, Numb and I’ll go crazy if I don’t get crazy tonight. These are my favorites. Tell me yours because if I ask Adam or Nadia, they will probably say: all of them!!!
by Márcia Schwarz Perel