Mauricio Baia by BlaPost

by: Márcia Schwarz Perel - BlaPost 

It is so exciting when we get to interview artists that are huge in our Native Brazil but not so publicized somewhere else in the world. We get the itching bug, when we get ahold of these wonderful talents and we cannot wait to show to you what you have been missing. We brought to you Karina Zeviani and now we have the honor to introduce you Mauricio Baia.


To give you a heads up, in the 90’s, Mauricio was part of a band called Rockboys and they mainly played in their native city of Salvador. Later on, Mauricio joined the project Bau do Raul at Circo Voador. He had the pleasure to share the stage with superstars like Marcelo Nova, Zelia Duncan, Pitty, Raimundos, Caetano Veloso. In 2006, Mauricio launched his solo work called Habeas Corpus and have not stopped since.

His new work is entitled “Com a Certeza de Quem Não Sabe Nada” and it is number 8 on Itunes Top Ten. Here is what he has to say about his work and life.

Bla – Mauricio, how early in life did you decide to go into the music path?

MB – Ever since I can remember. I do not recall of ever dreaming of being anything else.

Bla – Did you always have music as your only career?

MB – Yes, I started at a young age. When I was 17 years old I stepped on a main event’s stage for the first time. I have been working since then. It was a big festival in Brazil, and I was invited to play in many different concerts after that, and never stopped.

Bla – Who influences you musically?

MB – I was born in Salvador, Bahia. It is a state in the Northeast of Brazil. My family is from Recife and I have been living in Rio de Janeiro for the past 26 years. I believe that I have been influenced by many local artists. I also like a lot of American and European artists. I try to take in the most from all artists’ experiences.
                                  

Bla – Do you intent to cross over to the international market?

MB – Absolutely! As an artist one expects that his work may be able to touch as many lives as possible. I write and sing not only for myself, but for all of the people that identify with my songs. I can’t say that I have a specific goal to play here or there. However, I do like to be able to play everywhere that I am requested to be.

Bla – Would you ever consider to tour in the US for the Brazilian and American crowds?

MB – Yes indeed. I recently played at the Brazilian Film Festival in Miami, and also was able to do a private concert at a local venue. It was amazing to see how many Brazilians that have been living in the US for years, still connected to our roots. Some brought my first CD, recorded in 1995 and asked for an autograph. That was incredibly touching for me.
Baia & Zé Ramalho

Bla – What kind of public does your music attract to your shows? Young? Eclectic? Everyone?

MB – I believe everyone. I have a young crowd that follows me since I have started 20 years ago, obviously not so young anymore, lol … I have many young people coming to my concerts nowadays, and if you look into the Web, there are videos of kids singing my songs as well. I believe that what happen is that the parents liked my music and inevitably, the kids got influenced by it. I plan on keeping them entertained. Lol. Everyone, I play for everyone.

Bla – I watched some of your live performances and they are full of live, light and colors. Is that a mirror of your personality? Seems like the public is hypnotized by your stage presence and I got too just by watching it online.

MB – Thank you that is a great compliment. I like to think so, who wouldn’t right? But as the majority of us I have my days. However, I can’t deny that the crowd’s energy is always contagious. I feel the energy and that to me is a blessing, making it easier to reach that state of mind when I am on a stage.

Bla – Your sound is very regional. Do you happen to cover artists from other genres?

MB – Not really. I have been a part of a very nice project in Brazil, where many different artists pay tribute to Raul Seixas, a Brazilian singer/writer. This project was in 2004 and it was a great experience. The DVD was a success. But in general, I do not do covers, I like to work on my own material.

Bla – What are your plans for 2013?

MB – I am launching my 7th CD titled “Com a Certeza de Quem Não Sabe Nada”, on May 17th at Circo Voador (a classic venue in Rio de Janeiro). My plan is to tour all over Brazil and be a part of some nice festivals overseas as well. I am ready to present this new CD to the world. I am very pleased with the results.
Circo Voador _  Rio de Janeiro
                           
Bla – Any musician that you dream to perform with?

MBMr. Bob Dylan. ;)




Bla – Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. We are very excited for having this opportunity to learn more about you and your wonderful work, and hopefully one day we will get to see you perform live.

MB – You are welcome !!!! It was a pleasure to answer your questions. If you can, join us on May 17th in Rio de Janeiro. Thank you very much !!!


by: Márcia Schwarz Perel - BlaPost @BlaGirls
Creative Director: Mirella Afonso  
Images: Mauricio Baia and NET


















Follow us: @blapost on Twitter | BlaPost on Facebook

Comments

Bla Popular Posts