Alexia Bomtempo: a great combination of American and Brazilian music


Alexia Bomtempo, combines her Brazilian heritage with her American roots in musical cohesion. One side of her loves jazz and the other Brazilian Popular Music. The combination of her strong voice and unique style sets her apart as a thorough and one-of-a-kind musician. Tonight she is going to perform at Living Room (154, Ludlow St), 8pm. Cover $10. (which is part of the BrasilSummerfest-2013 Festival)

Image Simone Portellada




Alexia said that the show tonight will have an intimate set, but with plenty of dynamical moments. “We will be playing most of the songs from my "Caetano album" - "I Just Happen to Be Here" and also some other tunes in Portuguese that I love to cover, aside from a new original one that I wrote. It's a perfect opportunity for those looking to enjoy a night of Brasil Summerfest without a language barrier!”, told her.





                                   



Take a look in our interview with Alexia Bomtempo and be prepared for a great show tonight!

-
Your last CD is an amazing interpretation of Caetano Veloso songs, most of them are from the time he lived in exile in London. How Caetano Veloso inspires you? How did you come up with the idea of this CD?
 To me, Caetano Veloso is definitely the most inspiring Brazilian artist. His music is a natural fusion of sound and poetry. I grew up listening to his records - they are the soundtrack of my life. The idea for the CD came up during a voice lesson with my incredible vocal coach from Rio - Felipe Abreu. I sang "London, London" one day and he automatically thought about making the album. I believed it to be a wonderful chance to bring both sides of me together - being a Brazilian-American, it is very special to sing in English songs written by a truly Brazilian songwriter.

-
Can you name three singers that inspire your work and tell me why you chose them?
Gal Costa - she has a golden voice and has gone into so many different directions throughout her career. She has never been afraid to take any risks and that is just beyond inspiring!

 Marisa Monte - Marisa has been an influence to a whole new generation of female vocalists. She has made remarkable records (my favorite is "Cor de Rosa e Carvão), mixing sounds and styles, with a very personal touch and wonderful taste.

 Billie Holiday - I've always been deeply into jazz and Billie's interpretations are just pure heart and emotion.





- How did you start your career as a singer?
I started singing in High School, when I joined the chorus group. Then, I just new that I would make singing my life. I studied classical voice in college (in the USA) but then dropped out after a year and a half to move back to Rio and record a demo CD. That's when I met Dadi, one of the most talented musicians and producers I know and also one of the most beautiful people I've ever met! We started recording my first album, which came out in 2008. A couple of years later, Felipe Abreu and I began to work on what would become "I Just Happen to Be Here" - this is my second record. 

                      




 You started your career in Brazil and traveled around the USA. Now you live in New York. What are the challenges to build a career in the Big Apple? 
I am beyond happy to say that I live in New York! This is the most inspiring city in the world. I think that the biggest challenge of building a career here is running into the right people. I must say that I have been very lucky and have so much gratitude for the beautiful things that have been happening over such a short period of time. I have amazing friends and it is such a pleasure to be able to share music with these talented people from all over the world. My band is made of very eclectic musicians: Michael Kiaer (bass) is from Denmark but has been living in NYC for many years; Jake Owen (guitar)  just moved here from Austin, TX; Marcos Kuzka (keyboard) is an old friend from Rio, now based in NYC; and Darren Beckett (drums) is from Ireland.











By BlaBlaBla NYC girls
Journalist Larissa Gomes
Creative Director & Edits Mirella Afonso
BlaBlaBla NYC
IMAGES Marcelo Faustini & BrasilSummerFest 

Follow us: @blablablanyc on Twitter | BlaBlaBlaNYC on Facebook

Comments

Bla Popular Posts