Brazilian Swimwear Designer Maira Houck taks with Us! by Mirella Afonso


Bla's Creative Director, Mirella Afonso had the pleasure to interview the Brazilian Swimwear Designer Maira Houck this weekend. The fashion designer who lives and work in New York City talks about her line: Maeeda, Brazil, América, influences & dreams. #AmazingStuff! #CheckItOUTBelow:



 Please describe your swimwear:

Maeeda is an urban, athletic inspired swimwear line. It is bold and graphic – pattern, colors, Brazilian made NY based.  We believe that a girl who likes fashion will appreciate the line.  The cut is based off of Brazilian patterns, and adapted.  And we tried to think of different customers and cater to different needs without losing the aesthetic. From fuller coverage to a more Brazilian bottom, we have something for all tastes. And they are fashionable and yet wearable, no gimmicks.


        What inspires you as a designer? Do you bring the Brazilian flavor to your pieces?

I think if you create something that is honest and original coming from within, this something is going to be very reflective of you, your personality and your own experiences in life. That said, I grew up at the beach and dancing ballet my entire life. I guess that is already part of my understanding of the human body and my inclination to work with swimwear and easy pieces in sportswear.

I am very inspired by the city environment, NYC, SP, Rio, Los Angeles, these are places I lived and were I spent my adult life. That is what I see and what I relate to. And they come across in the line as well. I respond to city environment, the city girls, the fashion scene, the boldness and the graphic statements the city landscape makes. My pieces are urban and strong. But wearable too, for people with real needs. That is important to me, that the line can be fashionable but yet worn by people. And being Brazilian is a big part of my identity, so you can expect some Brazilian flavor in there too. We actually work off of Brazilian cut and patterns and adapt to a wordly customer.


           Sunscreen or Sun Lotion? Why?

I have to go with sunscreen. And I higher level of protection. I believe in slow and steady, and this is how I always tanned (I am no doctor). If you want that extra glow you can always use some light oil after the shower.

    Ipanema or Hamptons?

Really? That is not a fair question! For me, if it smells like summer, I am in! Ipanema, Hamptons, even my hometown Santos is quite fun. I think I am repeating myself, but I have to say again, I love the water.



  
Full bottom or "asa delta"?

Asa delta is a hard one to pull off I think. I have to go with full bottom, it is more friendly!

        One item you can’t live without at the beach?

Hair rubber band!!! It drives me crazy to have my hair down at the beach, unless I am swimming…

New trend you predict will be hot 2014?

I will pick the athletic inspired swimsuit trend. This is actually my comfort zone; that is what I like doing naturally. Maeeda could not be launching in a better time with this trend going on so strongly.

One trend that you think will not make it to 2014?

Asa delta! J Well, some people can wear it well – so I will go with heavy make at the beach. That I have yet to see: someone looking good wearing fake lashes or 80’s blush at the beach.

What would your be your dream coming true?

Seeing the line take off, having people enjoying themselves wearing the pieces. That is the most immediate dream. 


   
 

Any upcoming events/ new plans regarding your line, Maeeda? Are you selling as well in Brazil? If so, where?  

We are planning on adding some more coverup/easywear pieces to the line - really in beginning stages. We are very excited for that.


In Brazil we are represented by Fashion Desire https://www.facebook.com/fasiondesire  and this summer with a few trunk shows in Sao Paulo for now.

Here in the US we are studying product placement proposals, since the line is brand new. But for now it is the same strategy: trunk shows and events and also the website www.maeeda.com
And we are thrilled to hear from people. Please reach out to us at maeeda@maeeda.com and talk to us.
  




Creative Director: Mirella Afonso BlaPost BlaGirls We.Are.Bla
 
Thanks Maira Houck!

BlaBlaBlaNYC PRgirls
IMAGES NET

Follow us: @BlaPoston Twitter | BlaPost on Facebook




Comments

Bla Popular Posts