Halloween by Márcia Schwarz Perel




Halloween is here guys! My whole neighborhood is getting decorated, the schools are planning their parties. The same frenzy from every year. This year I am helping to plan a Halloween party for my son’s class. They are 8 and 9 year old third graders that only have the knowledge of Michael Jackson’s Thriller from a Party City TV commercial.

The teacher has asked me to come up with a thirty minute play list of songs to play during the class’ celebration. I already had the kids commenting on “please, no boring songs”. We organizers, want the mood of the room to feel spooky and semi adult for those all so cool third graders.

Let’s agree that my taste in music is way too variable (after almost 10 years of marriage my husband claims he had no idea that I like Rufus Wainwright). I came up with a few songs, ultimate classics in my opinion, in which I hope that kids gets interested about them, and raises their musical knowledge beyond TV commercials, Kesha and One Direction.

I am reminding you again that I only have a thirty minute window for those songs, so not too many got added. I will also explain why I chose them.

1. Monster Mash – a kid friendly choice. I have to start slow and it would be either that or the Adam’s Family Theme song.



2. Thriller – Full version of this classic. I was 7 years old when I finally convinced my parents to buy me Michael Jackson’s Thriller album. The background noises of the song, Vincent Price’s voice, does it get any better than that?




3. Sympathy for the Devil – Rolling Stones classic. It captures the essence of rock n roll with the spirit of Halloween. Kids need to learn about the classics. And if I have to argue that Lady GaGa is not a classic, I will!!!! Even if it gets me into school trouble.




4. Dead Man’s Party – Oingo Boingo. Who does still remember them? They defined my teenage years.




5. Enter Sandman – Mettalica. Give it 3 more years and those boys and girls will start thinking that Mettalica, Sepultura and AC/DC and actually cool bands from the past. Let’s teach those kids right.



6. Breathe – Prodigy. No, I will not be showing these kids the video from the song (scares the hell out of me). But the essence is in the words and melodies. I have never found Prodigy to be so popular in the US, but I know they kick some behind all over the world.



So instead of some boring activity and a lot of a mess from cupcakes, let’s infuse those kid’s brains with some cool and classic rock and metal. I am sure they will thank me later.


by Márcia Schwarz Perel
BlaBlaBlaNYC
Images and Videos NET


Comments

Bla Popular Posts