Bla's exclusive interview with Brazilian Diva Bibi Ferreira by Marcia Schwarz Perel

Once in a lifetime we come accross rare oportunities. The oportunity of having Bibi Ferreira singing Piaf AND having the honor to interview her fall into this rare category.  Bla caught up with Bibi around the time of her concert and she was more than gracious to spend some of her time with us.



Bla - Bibi darling, Piaf was a muse and inspiration for other musicians and filmakers. She was honored by the voices of Martha Wainwright and Louis Armstrong, being none of them honorary muses like you. This year we celebrate 50 years of Piaf's death and 30 years of you show " Piaf, a Vida de uma Cancao."  Why did you include NY in this extreme important  and intense tour ?

BF - This was exactly the proposal, include shows in Rio, Sao Paulo and NY, opening the possibility of another show in NY - Th idea I love the most.




Bla -  Why Piaf? Was Piaf always a part of your life?

BF - French music was never a part of my life. My influence was always those American musicals. But in 1983 a producer showed the the text of a Brit, Pam Jean, and it was traveling all over the world.  At that time, Piaf had passed for 20 years. We studied the text, adapted to the Brasilian style and opened in May of 1983, at the Ginastico Theater. Since then until today, it had been a great success.

Bla - I have found out that you have studied Piaf's life deeply. Any similarities with your own life and personality?

BF - None, not even by far. We see life in complete opposite ways. But her interpretation is fantastic, her stage strength is enormous. This is what I liked about her, the power of the songs and the possibility of dense interpretations.

Bla - What is your favorite piaf song to sing ?

BF - la Vie en Rose


Bibi Ferreira - La Vie en Rose


Bla - I found out about la Vie en Rose when I was 10 years old, by the voice of Louis Armstrong. Years later I discovered the original interpretation of Piaf. This song became important to me, after I found out that Piaf gave this song as a gift to her biggest love, Ives Montand (one of my favorite actors). This song, when sang in French, gives it a special charm. When Louis sings it, I believe that the beauty of the song is not shown. How is it for you to sing in French, which is not your native tongue? Do you worry about it's correct pronunciation and to transcend its emotions, being that French romantic songs warm up the hearts of even those who are completely ignorant about the language?

BF - I think this song is beautiful. It wakes up my interest into singing it. Being in French is just a detail. I studied it alot in order to be able to sing it.

Bla - It is amazing how you can pass to the public you conexion with Piaf. Any plans on doing homage to another musical diva?

BF - My next show will be about Sinatra. I am extremely excited. This is my field.



Bla - How did you feel when being recognized by the French government, awarded twice with the " Honor of Arts and Lyrics of the French Republic." ?

BF - I was very happy with the awards. I feel that it is beautiful that the French government recognizes my work. I believe that I talked a lot about about Piaf and the. French culture for these 30 years in Brasil.

Thanks Bibi. As a music lover it had been more than an honor to be able to interview you. Thanks for allowing this moment to our viewers and I. Thanks Nilson Raman. Thanks Junior Amaro.

Bibi Ferreira and her agent/ friend Nilson Raman


 by: Marcia Schwarz Perel
Creative Director & 'Pauta' Mirella Afonso
BlaBlaBlaNYC PRgirls
IMAGES Mauro Salviano

Follow us: @blablablanyc on Twitter | BlaBlaBlaNYC on Facebook




Comments

Bla Popular Posts